Friday, January 4, 2008

Overtraining?

Signs of overtraining that I can remember:

  • fatigue
  • increased resting heart rate
  • lower athletic performance
  • prone to illness (colds)
  • change in mood (usually subdued for me or not chipper)


Ok so I have fatigue due to not enough sleep the last three nights (back to work schedule and getting up a little earlier in the mornings) and I went too hard on Monday and on Thursday. I also am pretty subdued and having trouble concentrating. Also noticed I made some silly mistakes at work today (which usually is a sign of lack of sleep and being rundown I find).


What to do?


  • Rest: Going to bed early tonight.
  • Take a Day Off or Cut Mileage by half: Ok I will cut mileage in half tomorrow since I am running in a snowshoe race.
  • Eat Healthy Food: I do this as a rule of thumb but I will make sure to avoid sugar the next few days to avoid the sugar downs.


Mmmm...bedtime.

No comments: