Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Cost of a Marathon

What is the cost of a Marathon? Well there are a few:

  • $150 - Sneakers
  • $40 - Tech Shirt or free from a previous event
  • $20 - Tech Socks
  • $30 - Tech Shorts
  • $75 - Entry
  • 16 Weeks of training (you figure out how much about that costs you. Maybe I will add the hours total I have run to my sidebar.)
  • $25 - 20 Power Gels x $1.25 each for those long runs
  • $30 - Water bottle and holder, or free if you can score one from another event
  • Several Toenails


Ok the last one was for fun and the real reason for the post. My Big Toe on my right foot started to ache something fierce after a run the other day. I had to take something to take the edge off the pain so I could sleep. The next day it was down to a dull ache and now feels ok.

I have heard many friends tell me that they have lost toenails from training/running marathons and I figure that this nail is toast. It has had a split down the middle since last year that I have tried to salvage by using clear toenail polish. This year with the additional miles I figure I will put in for the Marathon training and the 1000 km challenge I figure it is a goner.

So how much does a marathon cost? When the challenge calls you, you don't care. There is only one outcome that you will settle for, conquering the big M.

3 comments:

Scott Parsons said...

For your toe injury...take a look at callus buildup. You may need to file it down. yuk :P Or sometimes you get blisters under your toenail that need to be drained. double yuk.

Ken said...

20 gels @ $2 each is $40 dude ;)

When my toenails go bad from running I just tape them. That usually keeps the broken nail intact/in place until the new one can get a good start.

Tape, it's not just for over worked joints!

MT said...

Doh! Blame it on a lack of brain cells after cold runs outside.

I was researching gels tonight; looks like he cheapest by the individual portion size is $1.25 at MEC. Heading out to get some more this weekend.