Thursday, October 16, 2014

Software Development is Obviously Hard

Look at Apple's recent iOS 8.0.1 release that broke cellular.
Look at (any company's I have used) Wi-Fi or Bluetooth stack and how flaky it is every other release.

The technology we use, rely on, love, and spend a lot of money on each day is a big let down when it fails. For non-techies I hear them blaming themselves. They must not be using it right.

Here's a secret though, most times when it is not working, but it worked yesterday or 5 minutes ago, it isn't you, it's the gadget. How many times have you cycled your WiFi or Bluetooth off/on to try to fix connectivity? Too many.

I feel for the people that don't know this much (you sometimes have to reset things).

It used to be a big joke, and I made it plenty of times, that you had to restart your Windows PC daily or whenever it started to act strange.

The bigger joke today is that we have to do that to the device in our pocket more often than we care to admit.

I always think, maybe it's me and the stuff I am interfacing with each day. Bluetooth headsets, in-car bluetooth, switching multiple networks, installing/uninstalling apps. My day to day usage of mobile devices is a little more extreme than the average user I figure and so I run into "edge cases" all the time.

Or maybe, we just need to spend some more time polishing our software before pushing it out the door.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The people have spoken. They demand a minimum level of quality but at a certain point more functionality is valued more highly than incremental improvements in quality.