Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Movie Review: The Grand Budapest Hotel

Image: Wikipedia
First, I love Wes Anderson movies. So it is no surprise I loved The Grand Budapest Hotel.

I love Wes's unique characters. You glimpse the tip of the iceberg of their background/characters and that is enough to make you understand the motivations behind each.

Of the Anderson movies, I really loved this one. It ranks up there for me with Rushmore. I loved it as the repeat players in the Anderson cast came onto screen; Schwartzman, Murray, Wilson.

Each one is enjoyable to watch as they go about their quirky roles.

I enjoyed the "oldest" flashbacks so much I was left wanting more each time the film came back to the present of the story was being told. The entire movie was great but the telling of the main backstory is just fantastic.

One comment that we heard coming out of the theatre and which I agree with was, "It's nice to see a movie with so much use of colour." I fully agree and the colour pallette very effectively conveyed the time periods and settings. Rich Orange and Purples at the hotel contrasted with the earth, snow, and muted colours of the alleys where the poorer people live.

If you like Wes Anderson movies (Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou) then you owe it to yourself to go see The Grand Budapest Hotel. It had us laughing throughout and glued to our seats (not even noticing that the theatre was full and we had the worst/best seats in the house in the middle of the front row).

No comments: