Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Tackling Exercise

How to train for a 1/2 Marathon when I am back to work full-time with less free time to fit in workouts.
Planning for the 1/2 Marathon
Trial Run in September 

That was one challenge I knew I would have. First things was to take account of my leisure activities and figure out what I should cut out to free up time.

So, out with reading Sci-Fi, at least as much as I was reading. Also out with some of my other projects I had on the back burner (namely some electronics I had planned to work on).

Ok, that frees up the time I no longer have but I still need to fit in workouts. Don't we all have this problem.

To make it work, my wife has switched with me so that she drops the kids off at school, allowing me to leave for the gym, a swim, or a run. So, to fit this in and work it means I just went from an up at 8-8:30 schedule to an up at 5:45-6:00.

Up that early I can get to the gym, workout, shower, and get to work before 8am.

I don't enjoy giving up the late nights and that has been a hard part. But dropping back to a few nights of 6 hours sleep has wrecked me and I have had to go back to a 10pm bedtime.

That's me, early to bed and early to rise now.

The good thing at the office with this arrangement is that most people come in between 9:30-10:30 and work late. Myself and a couple others come in early and leave early, by our coworkers standards but then we put in the same number of hours as them and still make it home to see our kids in the evening.

So, that is how I am fitting in my workouts at the moment.

How do you find the time to get a workout in?

No comments: