Friday, May 23, 2014

My Top Posts

Traffic at Droolfactory since creation.
I have had periods of active, not so active, and non-existent posting on this blog. That said, I have had a pretty steady number of pageviews for my inactive periods. How is that?

I am currently hovering at about 1700-1800 pageviews a month. I only just broke past the 1000 pageviews a month this past January 2014. Obviously due to my increase in posts.

Of note, I made only 25 posts from 2010-2013. This year I am over 118 posts. That said, those daily posts are likely to start to die out. With full time work, it is much harder to research topics, and find time to write. But that is for another post.

So, after almost 5 months of regular posts, I thought I'd break down some of my top posts, highlighting them and explaining why I think they continue to have good traffic. For some, years after I have posted them.

So here are the top five and some stats and my thoughts about them.

Number 1: Mac OS X Lion: kernel_task with High CPU

  • Original Post Date: August 28, 2012
  • Pageviews: 3740
  • Why?
    • It's a problem that drives people nuts. Your Mac's fans go nuts. Your battery gets eaten since the CPU is running all out. 

Number 2: Fix for Twitter-OAuth-iPhone Due to Twitter Mobile OAuth Update
  • Original Post Date: February 3, 2010
  • Pageviews: 1969
  • Why?
Number 3: Adding Twitter + OAuth to an iPhone App
  • Original Post Date: December 23, 2009
  • Pageviews: 1400
  • Why?
    • Again, Twitter's growth in 3rd party apps drove a lot of searches to this page.
Number 4: OCMock observerMock and unrecognized selector
  • Original Post Date: August 19, 2011
  • Pageviews: 749
  • Why?
    • Apple's developer testing toolset is getting better with each release of Xcode but Mocks are something they still have not added. This library fills that hole and is used by many developers and testers to write better apps. The library can be a bit to get your head around so this one is still popular.
Number 5: Fixing dyld image not found on Mac OS
  • Original Post Date: July 18, 2012 
  • Pageviews: 712
  • Why?
    • As a dev writing libraries and frameworks to include in other apps, frameworks, and daemons by other teams I have had to help debug multiple linker issues. Especially for bundled libraries that are running in non-standard locations. This is something others deal with as well and hence this post still draws traffic.
Those are my top 5 current posts. I think it will be a long time before some new post unseats these posts. The top two still rank highly in my weekly and monthly traffic numbers. Often being the top 2 for a month.

I am working on a post series that I will be very interested to see the traction of. That is the new posts about tunings and scales for 3 string Cigar Box Guitars. I think these will be posts that gather interest over time as people search for how to tune and play their CBG.  We'll see how they fare in a year or so.

No comments: