Thursday, August 13, 2015

Paddle Mate: Getting Ready for Testers

Fabric metrics show meSelfie Band
had 22 commits to the master and
has been 100% crash free so far.
For usage metrics and crash reporting I use Fabric.io. Once I have an app to a point where I am ready to give it to a friend to test out I add Fabric.

Fabric let's you setup Beta tests (though I use Test Flight once I have an app that can pass App Store Review for Test Flight Betas), track app usage, and retrieve crash reports if you app crashes.

When I add Fabric I also add versioning to my app so I can track the builds that are in the wild with Testers or in the App Store. For that I use a script in the Build Phases.  My script is triggered off my number of commits to the branch I am working on. So a feature branch will have the feature in the version but an AppStore build will have just the number of commits (from the master branch, where I ship from).

Here is the one I use which I have a link to the original in my comments:

#
# Set the build number to the current git commit count.
# If we're using the Dev scheme, then we'll suffix the build
# number with the current branch name, to make collisions
# far less likely across feature branches.
#
git=`sh /etc/profile; which git`
appBuild=`"$git" rev-list --all |wc -l`
if [ $CONFIGURATION = "Debug" ]; then
branchName=`"$git" rev-parse --abbrev-ref HEAD`
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :CFBundleVersion $appBuild-$branchName" "${TARGET_BUILD_DIR}/${INFOPLIST_PATH}"
else
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :CFBundleVersion $appBuild" "${TARGET_BUILD_DIR}/${INFOPLIST_PATH}"
fi
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Save" "${TARGET_BUILD_DIR}/${INFOPLIST_PATH}"
echo "Updated ${TARGET_BUILD_DIR}/${INFOPLIST_PATH}"

Paddle Mate now has 

No comments: