Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Post Race Followup

Ahh, post race day.

I forgot the familiar feelings:
  • Aching
  • Tired
  • Grumpy
  • Did I mention Tired?
  • Kind of in a stupor
Thankfully, the day after was laid back and I got in a long nap.

For anyone that has not raced and pushed themselves or just gone out and run/rode/swam for multiple hours at an event.  Expect the couple days after a race to be slower (unless you are in uber shape).  Don't plan anything big and expect to need some down time.

Saturday I was on a high after 2.5 hours of pushing myself on the mountain bike.

Sunday I was bummed and wondering,  "What did I do yesterday?  It was fun I think?  But now I am kinda just stunned."

Nothing I have not experienced before after a big race day.  I wish I was in better shape for this one, but it was a good kick in the ass to get me back on track.

Now a couple days later and I am mostly recovered.

As bad as it can feel sometimes after a big effort like that, I like this motivational quote:
It is easier to wake up early and work out than it is to look in the mirror each day and not like what you see.
Doing a big event like this can really remind you that you are more than what you are today.  Each day you can go out there and be a little bit better.

You just gotta stop looking in the mirror and do it. 

No comments: